Flemish-style beef stew with beer



In the British Waterstones in Brussels last week I came across a copy of The Food and Cooking of Belgium by Suzanne Vandyck. Starting off with a description of Belgian culture and the history of Belgian food, it moves on to 60 superlative recipes. Clocking in at 25 Euros however, I deferred purchase until I got back to the flat and paid a quick visit to good old Amazon.

And so, a week later I decided to start off with one of the countries signiature dishes, Flemish-style beef stew with beer.

The beer used was Chimay Brun and a glass or two were also drunk with the meal. As were two more bottles of that god of beers, Westvleiteren. I finished off with a pear tart purchased from my favourite Brussels patiserie and some Neuhaus chocolates.

Recipe now posted on Greasy Truckers Party Food.

Eet Smakelijk!

Comments

Löst Jimmy said…
What is the dish George?
George Ternent said…
Working in Brussels for so long, I though it was about time I tried cooking a bit of the local cuisine. And what better place to start than with Flemish-style beef stew with beer.

This stew was wonderful and thoroughly reccomended. If you do it some time make the effort to get a good quality Belgium Brown beer to use in it. It makes all the difference. It also warrants a damn fine piece of braising steak, in my case I paid a visit to Edinburgh farmers market to get some quality coo.

I'll post a link from this post to Truckers when I've added the recipe.

Enjoy!

Popular posts from this blog

Life On Mars Soundtrack

The 100 Best and Absolute Greatest Heavy Metal Albums in the World, Ever.

Pop Quiz