Ichi


The tale of the blind Swordsman has popped up in numerous Japanese Zatoichi movies, and in the Rutger Hauer film Blind Fury. On Saturday night I sat down to watch the latest take on the theme with a Blue Ray of Ichi.

This latest spin has a young girl in the lead role and all in all was excellent. It is implied, but never stated, that the sword wielding heroine, played by the gorgeous Haruka Ayase, is the daughter of Zatoichi. Carrying on the family traditions of tapping away with a cane and slice and dicing the bad guys.

From the beautifully choreographed fights to the wonderful cinematography this is a worthy addition to the canon. I was particularly impressed with the haunting soundtrack be Lisa Edwards. In fact I was so impressed with the soundtrack I just ordered it from Amazon.

A blind babe with a sword, gratuitous violence aplenty and a great score. What's not to like?

As samurai films go, Ichi is well up to scratch.

Comments

Löst Jimmy said…
I haven't seen Ichi yet, but have read much praise and your recommendation has me sold on getting around to watching the DVD soonest.
George Ternent said…
The revelation for me was the films soundtrack. Australian musician Lisa Gerrard is excellent.

A little exploring later and I bought a couple of her solo albums and a few by her previous band Dead Can Dance. A wonderful mix of musical styles from far eastern mantras to celtic folk, ambient, haunting and memorable. Well worth a listen.
Löst Jimmy said…
I ordered up Ichi on DVD this very evening; suitably sated with some beer it is the wrong time to be let loose with online Music/DVD shopping!

I should be ashamed!!
George Ternent said…
Been there, done that, bought the tea shirt and the soundtrack and the plushies and whatever else my inebriated brain thinks is appropriate. I used to make the mistake of hitting Tower Records in London at 11:30 at night, fueled on various alcoholic beverages. Not a wise idea.

You will enjoy the movie though. Then drink some more beer and order the soundtrack. Followed by a couple of albums by Lisa Gerrards former band, Dead Can Dance. Cracking stuff!

Popular posts from this blog

Life On Mars Soundtrack

Pop Quiz

The 100 Best and Absolute Greatest Heavy Metal Albums in the World, Ever.