First We Take Manhattan


My recent acquisition of the glorious double live album of Leonard Cohen Live in London recorded at the O2 Arena, reminded me of the genius of Canada's finest ever singer songwriter. With a world tour coming up, it's a good time to be a Cohen fan. There's also a DVD version of the concert, but with an alleged Blue Ray version in the pipeline I think I'll hold fire till it's out.

Trawling the web in search of all things Cohenesque I came across this video of Jennifer Warnes superb version of Leonard's First We Take Manhattan. I first got into Jennifer Warnes through her Leonard Cohen tribute album Famous Blue Raincoat. In the 70's she was a backing singer in Cohen's band and won a Grammy in '88 for her duet with Bill Medley on the Dirty Dancing song (I've Had) The Time of My Life. My last purchase of hers was The Well which was an excellent album too. She's one hell of a talent.



Then there's always the original version.




Enjoy !!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life On Mars Soundtrack

Pop Quiz

The 100 Best and Absolute Greatest Heavy Metal Albums in the World, Ever.