Best Albums Of 2010

For what it's worth, and before the chimes of Big Ben toll in the New Year, here are my top 12 albums of 2010.

1. Arcade Fire - The Suburbs



I first came across Canada's Arcade Fire when I saw the video of Rebellion from their debut album funeral. The Suburbs is a work of genius, hence it hitting the number one spot in my list of the year.

2. John Grant - Queen Of Denmark


I saw John at Botanique this year and he was amazing. I defy anyone to find a more beautiful song than Marz and others like Where Dreams Go To Die make this a stunning solo debut. It was a close call between this and Arcade Fire as to which was my favourite disk of 2010.

3. The Young Gods - Everybody Knows



On to Switzerland for number 3 and a band that I'd not heard before. A potent cocktail of post-industrial electronica and balls to the wall rock liberally spiced with sound samples, they will take your head for a spin and park it on the dark side of the moon. Thanks Maj for the heads up on these boys.


Oddblood is Yeasayer's second album, following on from All Our Symbols, and is a cracker.


With a name like Stornoway this band should by rights be Scottish, but instead hail from Oxford. Alternative folk of the highest order.



Championed by Burt Bacharach, Rumer has a voice that has, justifiably, been compared to Karen Carpenter. This is her debut album and she is destined for great things.



Jingly, jangly guitar sounds that would have done the Byrds proud, this was the album that I think should have won the Mercury this year.


Yet another great band from Manchester, I am kloot deliver lyrics of the highest order, wrapped in a parcel of musical madness. Love them!


Another band I saw at Botanique in Brussels this year and a damned fine performance it was too. Becky Jacobs step up from backing singer to lead added another dimension to the band. Alternative folk to dance to after watching the Wicker Man.



With my home city being Nottingham, home of the worlds greatest football team and I don't mean County, it's astonishing that I'd never heard the Tindersticks. That gaping hole in my musical knowledge was put to rights with Falling Down A Mountain which is a worthy addition to my end of year list.




The National's lead singer's vocals seem to have gone up an octave or two on this one. The application of tight jeans don't seem to have effected the quality of their music which once again is superb.

12. Ray Lamontagne - God Willin' & The Creek Don't Rise



Finally a man with a voice like a glass of bourbon, Ray Lamontagne. Ray sprang to prominence with Trouble and his latest album trips the light fantastic from Country, to soulful ballads and rock. Hearing this encouraged me to pick up his back catlalogue which I'd also heartily recommend.


Here's a taster of my dirty dozen from 2010. Sit back with a glass of fine wine, press play and enjoy!



Roll on 2011. Happy New Year everybody!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life On Mars Soundtrack

Pop Quiz

The 100 Best and Absolute Greatest Heavy Metal Albums in the World, Ever.