AC/DC - Back in Black


First off the block in Planet Rock's 50 Derivative Classic Albums is AC/DC's (that Scottish band) Back In Black. An album for which the word classic was invented.

For me there are two derivative AC/DC albums, this one and Highway to Hell. Highway to Hell has the advantage of Bon Scott's vocals. For me Scott was sleaziness made flesh firing double-entendres and inuendos from the hip like some mad debauched gun slinger (I've still got the new Alan Davey album on the mind). Brian Johnson certainly filled Johnson's boots well enough, but watch a video of the same track performed live by both artists and Scott wins hands down every time for me. However, for the stuff of rock legend Back In Black is probably the AC/DC album to own.

Back In Black was released shortly after Scott's death (he died on the 19th of February 1980, it was released a few months later on July 25th). The bell tolling on Hell's Bells still sends shivers down the spine, as does the equally fitting title track Back In Black. Other stand out tracks are She Shook Me All Night Long and the seminal Roll Ain't Noise Pollution.

This is cracking stuff and deserves a place in every rock fans collection. Make room for Highway To Hell too though, as this is the definitive Bon Scott AC/DC album and it doesn't come a lot better than that.

Comments

Löst Jimmy said…
I remember buying this album in Orkney on the week of its release I was unsure as to how it would turn out given the missing Bon Scott, I needn't have worried it was the perfect anecdote to the sad passing of Bon.
George Ternent said…
Not bad for a group of Scots led by a Geordie (as I constantly wind up my Australian mates with.

:-)

My favorite AC/DC track is Sin City. Memories of drinking beer in my college local in the late 70's. We were over age then, honest!!!

That was around the time I saw my first Hawkwind concert (Leicester de-Montfort 78, closely followed by my first Motorhead concert).

Happy days...
Löst Jimmy said…
Sin City from the amazing Powerage album, that is as a good a collection that AC/DC produced.

Great memories George!
Clawhammer said…
I wouldn't even listen to Back in Black when it first came out but eventually saw the error of my ways. It really is a classic of the first water. My favourite AC/DC album though is the mighty live opus If you Want Blood!

Popular posts from this blog

Life On Mars Soundtrack

Pop Quiz

The 100 Best and Absolute Greatest Heavy Metal Albums in the World, Ever.